Complexul Medieval Unglerus - Biertan, jud. Sibiu, 557045, Romania

Biserica fortificată din Biertan

The architectonic ensemble from Biertan impresses by a harmonious matching in locality,by its esthetic and historic value and especially by the original substance preserved since the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th century, characteristics which determined its inclusion on The UNESCO List of World Patrimony.

Biserica fortificată - prezentare video

Biserica fortificată - galerie foto

  • Biertan Fortified Church

Scurt istoric

The eclesiastic and defence complex was built in 15th-16th centuries in the late Gothic style,with specific Renaissance elements.
For 300 years Biertan was chosen as the residence of the Evangelic Diocese (1572-1867)
The main edifice of the ensemble is a hall-church with three naves,with arches disposed in a network,built between 1492 - 1516 on the place of another old church, in the late Gothic style,with elements from the Renaissance arhitecture at some portals.
Inside the church the late Gothic shrine, in the form of a triptych was realized in more stages between 1515-1524.
The pews are made between 1514-1523 by Reychmut from Sighisoara and are ones of the most valuable pews of this kind from Transylvania.
Unique in its way the door of the vestry built in 1515,is remarkable for its blocking system.
As a result of the earthquake in 1977 , restoration and consolidation works of the arches were done.

Descriere generală

This historic monument, an arhitectural masterpiece,is illustrative for the entire area which was colonized by the Saxons of Transylvania.
Out of a total of almost 300 fortified churches built between the 15th and 16th centuries, the church from Biertan preserved very well its previous aspect.
This edifice is placed high on a hillock right in the centre of the village, in the center of the transverse valleys borded by vineyards, maize cultures and forests .

The Church, hall type, with three naves, from the period of late Gothic was built in 1500-1516,the chancel of the pre-existent edifice being heighten with a fortified level. The inner wall, from the same period, was fortified during the 16th century with 8 towers,being unfolded in a spiral form,like a three-towered belt around the hill.
The present church is embelished by walss painted in the 16th century. Another church occupied the same place before. It can still be observed the frescos from the beginning of the 16th century on the Southern tower of the inner wall as well as the tombstones of the Saxon bishops in the Mausoleum tower.
The Baroque and Renaissance contribution,originated in Central Europe , is from the 16th 17th, 18th centuries .The walls are painted and the basic structures are made of stone.
In the period when the chancel from Biertan was fortified,the consolidation of the eclesiastical buildings continued in most of the parts.
The western tower is heighten and endowed with storeys having a defensive role, using a large number of possibilities when it is about the ways of defence intermingled with the work and forms of arhitecture

Complexul Medieval Unglerus
str. 1 Decembrie, nr. 1
Biertan, jud. Sibiu, 557045, Romania
Sunaţi: +40 742 024 065, Contact Cetate: 0269 868 262

Informaţii

Bun venit la Complexul Medieval Unglerus din Biertan

Dacă ideea unei călătorii în timp în perioada medievală va atras vreodată, va invitam sa vizitati pitoreasca localitate Biertan, un sat pierdut intre văile si colinele din podisul Transilvaniei, in care inca mai domneste linistea si charmul unor timpuri de mult trecute. Pensiunile noastre de trei și patru margarete au fost reataurate si renovate in armonie cu arhitectura tipica locala si sunt amplasate in apropiata vecinatate a zidurilor bisericii fortificate din Biertan, devenită monument UNESCO din anul 1993. Restaurantul medieval Unglerus face parte din complexul arhitectural al bisericii fortificate si este situat chiar la intrarea in cetate, fiind lipit de cel de-al treilea zid de aparare. Restaurarea cladirii s-a realizat dupa o pictura istorica, aflata in visteria bisericii fortificate.